maanantai 21. syyskuuta 2009

The Upside Down Sweater


I admit that this sweater most probably is not a very interesting subject to photograph, but as it's my first sweater I'm quite proud of it and wanted a real photoshoot for once.

To compensate for lack of photogenicity, the birth of the sweater is rather interesting. For the whole thing actually started upside down.

I had four skeins of Novita Isoveli (bulky wool), and was trying to decide what to make with it. As the Green Day vest could be made with less than four skeins, I thought that a basic vest of the same size surely could be managed as well.
I decided to do it bottom-up, with ribbing up to my bust. I swatched, calculated stitches, and cast on. After finishing the ribbing I tried the thing on and it seemed okay. Now on with the bust.

At this point I developed a some sort of a mental block regarding my size, and started increasing. As I also started knitting in stockinette, the seeming smallness of the rib portion suddenly changed into the hugeness of stockinette that did not draw in like the rib did. Needless to say, the next time I tried the thing on, it was much too big.

I felt hugely disappointed. I didn't want to rip it, and kept trying it on again and again. I hoped that it would fit some part of by body.
And then, finally, after looking at it in front of me on the bed, I pulled it over my head and went to look in the mirror.

Insanely enough, it fit.

After turning the work upside down, of course four skeins weren't enough. I used 6 and still have one left (it was intended for the sleeves but I realized quite fast that I hate knitting top-down sleeves). So because I didn't want to rip out a little stockinette, I ended up with a much bigger job, one I doubt I would have had the courage to start otherwise.

After having worn the sweater twice, I can say that it's not itchy and not too hot, at least at chilly libraries or in draughty apartments. The collar doesn't stay nicely put, but still, overall, I am quite proud of myself.

More pictures at Ravelry


Ei kommentteja: