maanantai 27. huhtikuuta 2009

Love of the short row heel


Pattern: Go with the Flow by Evelyn A. Clark from Favorite Socks
Yarn: Araucania Ranco Solid
Needles: 2mm DPNs
Size: mine, shoe size eur 40/41. CO 60 sts.*

After my first Araucania socks, I did intend to use some other yarn for my next project. I did even  cast on a pair of charades in Cherry Tree Hill Supersock, but the colour pooled in the worst possibly way (the yarn did, however, feel soft as heaven, so I will probably give it another try with a more appropriate pattern). So I wound up my second skein of Araucania and started my first pattern from the Favorite Socks (which I keep spelling as Favourite, and then can't find it from Ravelry...)

I didn't even look at the directions in the pattern for making the heel, as I had already decided to try a short-row one. I hate having a sock on a hiatus just because I need time and good lighting to pick up the gusset stitches, so this was really inevitable.
I followed cosmicpluto's tutorial found here. Considering that it was my first attempt, I found this heel much easier and faster to do than the heel flap, and a bit more successful too. Obviously there are some mistakes, but the lace conveniently hides the holes ;)

I'm now knitting socks for the BF, also with a short row heel that I was able to knit on the train. A lot of my knitting is done in transit, so this is a big advantage compared to the heel flap.

*Please ignore my very white-looking calves in the picture, it's the lighting. And we have a long, sunless winter behind us.

Ei kommentteja: